Located at the border between the provinces of Reggio Calabria and Catanzaro, Bivongi lies in the Stilaro Valley at the foot of Mount Consolino, in an area enriched by wonderful natural landscapes. Bivongi history dates back to the year one thousand. The first documental evidence of Bivongi is the Brebion written around 1050. The document describes the characteristics of the surrounding Monasteries, and bears witness of activities such as silk farming. Bobonges probably derived by the union of two settlements, Mangiuni where the Monastery of San Nicola was located, and Abatìa and Casale where the Church of Spirito Santo stands. Bobonges properties belonged to the Monastery of Arsafia that controlled the town in the Byzantine Age. Remains of the Monastery are still visible in Monasterace on the Stilaro river banks. Roger the Norman granted the monastery to the Certosa di Serra S. Bruno.