Uncertain information concerns the origins of Caccuri, a little town in Crotone province, that stands on the hills above the left bank of the Neto river. However, remains of a fascinating and distant past are present in the entire area. Some scholars maintain that the name Caccuri comes from the word Cacumina, that is the top of the hill where the town was erected. Others claim that it derives from the Greek Kao-kour referred to a place in the Greek region of Arcadia: people coming from that area probably arrived in the site and named it after their homeland. Also noteworthy is the presence of three Basilian Monasteries that, before the Normans arrived and imposed the Latinization of the Eastern rite churches, had a great influence on the life of local population: Monastery of Santa Maria della Paganella or dei Tre Fanciulli, Abate Marco and Santa Maria di Cabria. All of them were given to the Order of Flora (founded by Joachim of Flora) by the Emperor Henry VI in 1195, event that triggered bloody and long-lasting fights. During the Kingdom of the two Sicilies, the town played a fundamental role, particularly in 1844, when the Bandiera brothers and their companions stopped in the surroundings. Caccuri people foiled the revolutionary plot of the patriots by sending from the Casino del Vuldoj the message to the Commander of San Giovanni in Fiore Gendarmery who arrested them. At the end of the 19th century, Caccuri witnessed a period of progress and prosperity.


Address Via Adua, 5
  88833 Caccuri (KR)
Phone number 0984 998040
Fax 0984 998555


Several mineral springs flow in Caccuri surroundings. Sulfur and chloride-rich water of the Lepre stream is used for bathing and drinking, the sulfurous water of the Bruciarello stream is suitable for bathing and the saline water of Calderazzi is employed in draughts.

Cave settlements are widespread around Caccuri. The Grotta del Palummaro, whose entrance is on the bank of the Lese stream, is geologically interesting, and it is among the biggest and deepest karst caves in the area.

The Main Church consecrated to Santa Maria delle Grazie stands at the center of the town and it is a typical example of Calabrian Baroque. The bell tower houses a precious bell dedicated to the Madonna in 1578, whose construction was commissioned by the Università of Caccuri to Angelo Rinaldi. It is a three-nave church and the Chapel of San Gaetano opens on the right nave. The church of San Rocco, the patron saint of the town, located along an ancient access road to the village, is worth a visit. The Dominican Monastery known as Chiesa della Riforma or S. Maria del Soccorso, was erected along the road leading to the Abbey of S. Maria la Nova in the municipality of San Giovanni in Fiore. Founded in 1518 by the Dominican monk Andrea da Gimigliano, the monumental complex of the Badia di S. Maria del Soccorso is acknowledged as the Convento by local people because the monks left only at the end of the 19th century when the building was sold to baron Barracco. Inside the complex but outside the church, close to the former entrance to the cloister, the Chapel of the Congrega del S. Rosario stands. It is the most representative monument of the town; in the Chapel the plenary indulgence has been granted since 1679, as the papal bull issued by Innocent XI shows.

The smooth stone roads lead to the 6th century majestic castle that dominates the huge cliff below. The castle atrium houses the Chapel of Cavalcanti. The interior is decorated with paintings and statues attributed to the 1800 Neapolitan school. The chapel has a wooden ceiling and a stone front door, the work of stonemasons of the time. The distinctive shape of the only tower, the gloomy Torre Mastrigli, is the symbol of the city coat of arms and it makes the town recognizable from afar.