Bova rises up a little mountain of the Eastern Aspromonte massif and it is considered the capital of Hellenism in Calabria, the most important center of the Greek or Bovesia communities. It is a language island that includes Bova, Condofuri, Gallicianò, Roccaforte del Greco, Roghudi where they still speak a dialect of Greek origin and preserve the traditions of the Ancient East. Grecanic influence is still visible in textile production of brightly colored blankets and carpets in the oriental taste. Bova was probably founded in the Neolithic Age (7th-8th century B.C.), and it was a Magna Graecia settlement since the 6th century. It suffered frequent raids by people from Albania and other Ionian areas and adopted their customs, traditions and languages. Bova developed after building strong fortifications around the castle that was besieged by the Saracens (1000) and resisted them. In 1099 it was the fief of Guglielmo di Framundino and, later in time, of the Bishops of Reggio that dominated the town till 1806 (abolition of feudalism). In 1807 the French and Bourbon armies ravaged the town. In time, Bova population suffered the plague, Saracen raids and famine. The most disastrous event, however, was the 1783 earthquake. After reconstruction Bova has maintained the original architectural characteristics whose charm end beauty have certified it as one of the Borghi più belli d’Italia (the most beautiful towns in Italy.