During the 1924 excavation campaign, Paolo Orsi found an archaic temple dedicated to Apollo Aleus. In the archaic phase, at the end of the 6th century B.C., the temple consisted in an elongated cella (naos) divided into two naves by a colonnade whose stone bases are still visible. It is supposed that both internal and external columns were made of wood. The cella contained a quadrangular area (adyton) closed by a partition and had four pilasters. The worship statue of Apollo was housed in the area. The Punta Alice temple was used till the 4th century B.C.. The new stone building included the archaic cella, while the colonnade was doubled only on the Eastern side. The second phase of the Temple of Apollo Aleus evidences the late developments of Doric temple architecture in the Western world, being the only known post-Classical peripteros. The head, both feet and remains of the hand of the ancient statue were found during excavations in the area of the Temple of Apollo Aleus, and they are now exhibited at the National Archaeological Museum in Reggio Calabria. On April 1, 2015, after 91 years, the head, the feet and the hand were temporarily brought back to Cirò Marina for the opening of the new City Musuem.
Cirò Marina is one of the 233 Italian Blue Flag Beaches granted by the FEE for high quality standards concerning bathing water, beach areas and services provided.
The Shrine of Maria Ss.ma d’Itria stands in the area where the castrum of Licia, Alice or Alichia once stood. It housed a crowded fair until the end of the 18th century. The sanctuary keeps an iconographic-Byzantine style canvas portraying the Virgin and Child.
The Church of San Cataldo, the patron saint, stands in the main town square. The building was erected in 1903 and enlarged in 1950. The central nave, decorated with religious scenes, has a wooden truss ceiling. The bronze portal, carved with local history scenes by Elio Malena, is remarkable. The Church of san Nicodemo, the Shrine of Madonna di Mare and the Church of San Francesco di Paola also deserve a visit.
Cirò Marina municipality was established in recent years, nevertheless the historical and cultural heritage of the area is remarkable and offers visitors: the remains of the Sanctuary dedicated to Apollo in Punta Alice (the most jutting promontory in the Gulf of Taranto), the Saracen markets, a 16th-century tower and many artifacts kept in the Civic Museum that stands in the main square of the town. The building was expressly bought for the purpose by the Municipality in 1981 and restored in 1985. It has hosted the Office for the Archaeological Heritage since 1996 and in 1998 the Museum opened. The two-floor building houses artifacts collected since early 1970s, and relics found during systematic excavations by the Office for the Archaeological Heritage.
The display stands at the ground floor exhibit artifacts from the two most important historical periods of the Cirò area: the foundation of the ancient Krimisa, possibly by the Homeric hero Philoctetes, and the Bruttian period that left a great number of evidences. Relics found in the Sanctuary of Apollo Aleo (ex-votos, architectural features and objects of the everyday life in the Sanctuary) date back to the colonization period. Different groups of objects of the Bruttian period include rests of grave goods found in the necropoles (tableware, objects related to the oikos, personal objects, arms, jewels, etc). Finally, a small collection of coins shows how they circulate in the area, from the 4th century B.C. to Roman domination.
A rich exhibition of photographs and maps reporting the results of long underwater researches along Ionian and Tyrrhenian coasts of Calabria demonstrate that the Italic people had relationships with the Eastern Mediterranean and Greek populations since the Mycenaean period.