/website/portalmedia/2017-03/comune-di-filadelfia-auditorium_comunale.jpg  

FILADELFIA

Filadelfia is located on a hill, a few kilometers far from the Tyrrhenian Sea. It originated from the pre-existing settlement of Castel Monardo that was destroyed by a dramatic earthquake in 1783 and abandoned by its inhabitants who moved to a nearby hill (Piano della Gorna). Here, they founded Filadelfia (that means “brotherly love”).




 


Address Corso Castelmonardo, 94
  89814 Vibo Valentia (CZ)
Phone number 0968 724122
Fax 0968 725338
Website www.comune.filadelfia.vv.it
 

 

Church of Santa Barbara

The church was destroyed by an earthquake and rebuilt in the 1930s by Paolo Albera, Archbishop of Mileto, who, for budgetary reasons, ordered to reduce the perimeter. The majestic light stone façade has a portal with a tympanum and a front staircase. The upper area is decorated with a balcony parapet, and a polychrome glass window reproducing the image of Saint Barbara. A square solid bell tower is annexed to the church. The three-nave interior has ceilings decorated with canvases. The bust of Saint Barbara stands on the main altar. Among other treasures, a wooden 16th century crucifix, the work of a local artist named Timpano, deserves to be mentioned.  

 

Church of  San Teodoro d'Amasene

Originally, the church was a Basilian Abbey where Greek rite ceremonies were also performed. The outer perimeter was reduced and it became a noble chapel till 1950.

The portal on the façade is decorated with columns and lesenes, and a tympanus on top. Two smaller side entries have tympana and a semicircular windows on top. The higher façade is embellished by a square window and lesenes and rests on a balcony parapet. A Moorish style solid bell tower is located behind the church. The three-nave interior is sober and keeps few plain altars. The main one is decorated with the statue of Saint Theodore and, in the apse, some allegorical paintings reproduce scenes about meditation and the mercy of God.

 

Church of Madonna del Carmine

The church is a cream and red brick building. The façade portal is adorned with a coat-of-arms on top, eight lesenes and smaller entries on both sides. The three-nave interior is decorated with elegant stucco elements. The dome stands before the apse. It was painted by D. Grillo, a Pizzo painter, with images of Our Lady of Mt Carmel, Saint Simone Stocco and other saints. On the lower walls of the dome, the four Evangelists were depicted.  In the central nave, on the right, the richly carved 1897 wooden pulpit has a baldachin with various sculpted groups, the work of Michele Servello, a local artist. Finally, the Church houses a marble statue of Maria SS. della Croce by Giovambattista Mazzolo, that was once located in the Augustine Monastery.

 

 

Church of San Francesco di Paola

It was built on a pre-exhisting chapel in the early 19th century. The single nave building was later enlarged. The façade is dominated by a large staircase and has a portal with a tympanus broken by a rose window. On each side, columns and lesenes cover the entire wall. On the sides of the main entry, two smaller doors have circular windows on top. The three nave interior keeps a marble altarpiece with a painting by Carmelo Davoli depicting Saint Francis of Paola.

 

Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie

It is a small single nave church. It is characterized by a plain façade and an entry gate with the image of Our Lady of Graces on top. The church houses an altar with a statue of the Virgin Mary.

 

Church of San Nicola

It is located in the Montesoro district. It was recently built and has a plain façade with a rose window on top of the portal. A bell tower was included on the left side. The single nave interior is sober and keeps the statue of Saint Nicholas.

 



meandcalabria-header.png
ME AND CALABRIA
PLAN YOUR OWN TRIP AND SHARE IT WITH WHOMEVER YOU CHOOSE.


SLEEP CALABRIA



mappa-header.png
MAP
YOUR IDEAL TRIP







 


TRIP TIPS