Montauro is an agricultural town on the Ionian side of the Serre mountains, in the piedmont area sloping to the Gulf of Squillace, north of the mouth of the Soverato stream. It originated before the year 1000 and its name derived from the mount on which it stands that was supposed to be rich in gold. In 1101 Count Roger granted it to Serra San Bruno Carthusian monks. It was severely damaged by the 1783 earthquake and by an exceptional flooding that occurred in 1846.
Remains of a Medieval fortification were incorporated in the external walls of the Parish Church. Inside, the church has a 17th century appearance; it keeps 17th century wooden ceiling and choir, a majestic polychrome marble altar with bronze (The Redeemer and Apostles) and marble (Saints Peter and Paul) statues. The ruined Monastery of San Domenico was founded by the Normans and destroyed by an earthquake in 1783.