Parghelia stands between Tropea and Zambrone, along the Costa degli Dei (Coast of Gods), about 70 m high above the sea level. The climate and 8-km-long beautiful coasts have favored touristic development. Today, Parghelia is a modern touristic resort, and its many accommodation facilities are very crowded in summer. Along the coast, golden beaches alternate with small inlets, till they get to the Pizzuta cliff, where the majestic and characteristic rock of Palombaro (deep-sea diver) stands. Parghelia means seashore and, with the nearby sites of Tropea and Capo Vaticano, is a tourist destination. Paralj'a, the Greek word for beach, is the ancient name of the sea village. The main economic activity in Parghelia, has always been tuna fishing. In fact, in a plea dated 1577 and addressed to the Viceroy “the men from the casale of Parghelia” defined themselves “tonnari (tuna fishermen) who rent all the tonnare in the Reign”. Moreover, the sea also carried ideals of liberty and justice. Saracen pirates attacked and ransacked the towns of the entire coast all along the 17th century. In the Church of Santa Maria di Porto Salvo, a painting in the ceiling reproduces these events. The political and administrative feudal system that concerned Tropea and its casali ended in the 19th century. In 1806 Parghelia became an independent town. Under the French administrative rules, issued on January 19th 1807, the town became a Government seat. It was then relegated to one of the districts of Tropea. It was again an independent town on May 1st 1816.