Caloveto was founded around the 9th century and it has thus a long history. The village lies along the ridge of several hills forming the spur of the Sila Grande, on the right side of the valley where the Trionto river runs. It was probably founded by a group of Acoemetae monks who dug caves in the rock and used them as a monastery for the worship of Saint Giovanni Calibita, as a church and to supply water to the people who gradually settled there. With time, around the monastery dedicated to the saint, a farmer community began to develop, thus originating the first settlement of Caloveto.  The Greek rite monastery was later Latinized by the Benedictine monks. In 1003 A.D., Saint Bartholomew of Rossano, aged 12 at the time, stayed there to improve the monastic discipline and study religious texts. The monastery continued to prosper under the Normans and the town developed passing from a feudal family to another.  Caloveto was the property of the following families: Ruffo di Montalto, Guindazzo, in 1471, Cavaniglia, in 1480, D’Aragona, from 1570 to 1593, Mandatoriccio, from 1593 to 1696, and lately Sambiase, the princes of Campana, from 1696 to 1806. It was included in the Canton of Cirò by the 1799 administrative regulation; in 1807 it was classified as Luogo and included in the Cariati government. Under the law dated 1811 it became a Municipality and was included in the Cropalati district. In 1928, it was included among the hamlets of Cropalati and became an independent Municipality in 1934.


Address Piazza dei Caduti, 24
  87060 Caloveto (CS)
Phone number 0983 63005
Fax 0983 63900
Website http://www.comune.caloveto.cs.it/


Palazzo de Mundo stands in the town central area. It is a square building erected at the beginning of the 20th century. Palazzo Comite is located at the heart of the old town. The building dates back to the 18th century and includes a peculiar quadrangular courtyard and a cave. The Neoclassical Casa Caruso is a remarkable building built in the second half of the 19th century on a rock hill overhanging the valley. Olive and wine presses, millstones and farm equipment are evidence of ancient agricultural activities. In particular, the olive oil mill is characterized by a series of round arches, an open gallery and a Neoclassical fluted cornice.

Palazzo Pirelli is a very ancient building dating to the first millennium. Originally, it was a monastery sheltering the monks during iconoclastic  persecution. It rises on a rock overhanging the San Giovanni caves.

Casale Comite, built at the beginning of the 20th century, is located some kilometers far from the town, in the  Serra district. It was the dwelling of a nobleman named Caloveto who made it the heart of cultural and economic activities in the town.

The Latin church devoted to Saint Anne was built by the Sangineri family because the Monastery of Saint Giovanni Calibita was inadequate for the increasing population. The building, now the Main Church, was subjected to restoration, and dedicated to Saint Giovanni Calibita.

It was built in the Norman style and has three rose windows on the façade: a large central one and two lateral small ones.

The church was built in the shape of a Latin cross with three naves and barrel vaults decorated with oil-paintings.

On the left side of the chancel, a canvas painted by Aldo Moschetto in 1995 reproduces the “Glorious death of St Giovanni Calibyta”. Recently, a Museum of Sacred Art has been established and keeps sacred objects dating to the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.

The Church of Carmine is opposite to the Main Church and is called of “donna Aurora” because it was built at the beginning of the 18th century by noble Aurora Mazziotti Pirelli as a chapel annexed to Baron De Mundo’s house that overlooks the main square of the town. It was recently restored to its original value.

Outside the town, the recently restored chapel devoted to Saint Anthony of Padua is the destination of pilgrims in June.

In the nearby area the ruined Church of Saint Rita had a Latin cross plan.

The Church of Annunziata was built in the shape of a Latin cross: it was carefully restored and it is now an oratory located in the town, while in the past it was outside the built-up area and housed Cenobitic monks.