The Park of the Mediterranean Biodiversity is located in Catanzaro, near the Agrarian School. The garden extends to 114.200 m2 (the total extension of the park is 610.000 m2). The park includes grassland areas, an Italian-style botanical garden with 20.000 hedge and ground cover plants, 2.000 tall trees and 200 trees, and two small lakes. Many facilities are also present inside the park: a jogging and cycling path 4,5 km long, a 2.561,28 m2 skating area, a 3500 m2 playground, a water plant pond, a swan lake, a green maze, a 700-seat amphitheater, a bar area, toilets and a 1665 m2 parking area.
Catanzaro offers to visitors a town endowed with many striking and suggestive places. Villa Trieste is a 19th-century Municipal park overlooking the sea and Sila mountains. The Province Museum displays archaeological artifacts, a collection of Roman and Greek coins, ancient paintings and a section dedicated to the Calabrian painter Andrea Cefaly. Equally interesting are the Carriage Museum, Museum of the Risorgimento, the monumental fountain “Il Cavatore”, Church of Sant'Omobono (the most ancient monument in the town), Church of San Giovanni, Church of Immacolata (of very ancient origin, it was completely re-modeled), Church of Monte dei Morti, Duomo (a Neoclassical-style building, erected in the 1960s). Palazzo Fazzari overlooks Corso Mazzini, the main street. It was built in 1876, and coated with diorite from Stalettì quarries. The castle Tower stands at the entrance of the Corso, and it is the only built element left of the ancient Norman castle, that was long used as a jail. It was restored and at present houses a museum. Going along the street, past the Imperial Cafè, a small road takes to a pedestrian area paved with black basalt “sanpietrini”, and to the Early Medieval Church of Santa Maria di Mezzogiorno. The monumental complex of San Giovanni, located in the area where a Norman castle stood, is worth a visit. The complex housed the hospital, the Udienza jail and the department of the Military Engineering. It has a two-floor exhibition area; a staircase gives access to an internal courtyard and to several rooms. The building adjacent to the church hosts the Municipal Culture Council and Office for Cultural Heritage. The large panoramic area in front of the complex was inaugurated by the President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi. The San Giovanni complex is one of the listed national Monuments in Italy. The original Paradise district was given its present-day name Case Arse (Burnt Houses) in 1470 when Antonio Centelles ordered the district to be burnt to punish Catanzaro people who refused to have him as their Count any more.
The Duomo of Catanzaro was severely damaged during the Anglo-American bombing of August 27th 1943, and robbed and stripped for years. It was re-built after the Second World War according to the design of Vincenzo Fasolo and Franco Domestico, and consecrated in Autumn 1960. The ancient cathedral of Norman origin dedicated to the Vergine Assunta and Ss. Pietro e Paolo, was consecrated by Pope Callixtus II in 1121. The Medieval layout was repeatedly remodeled after several strong earthquakes that hit Catanzaro, and it was greatly changed. In the early 16th century, remarkable interventions by Bishop Torrefranza enlarged the building, adorned the interior with polychromatic marbles, re-built the apse area and façade. The earthquakes of 1744, 1783 and 1832 enormously damaged the church that was closed for many years; religious services were transferred to the Church of Immacolata. The Duomo houses extraordinary artworks: the 16th-century silver bust of Saint Vitaliano, probably the work of the Neapolitan silversmith Gilberto Lelio; the 1595 statue of Madonna delle Grazie, that belonged to the ancient Poor Clare Convent; the 18th century statue of Dormitio Virginis; the altarpiece portraying the Assunta, dated 1750; the wooden sculpture of the SS. Vergine Addolorata made in the 18th century by Neapolitan artists; a painting representing the Sacra Famiglia (1834) by Domenico Augimeri. Vestments dating from 18th to 20th centuries also deserve to be mentioned.
The “Marca” is a multifunctional museum designed to be the place where different artistic events, from ancient art to contemporary expressions, can coexist. The museum consists of three areas. The Province Pinacotheca and Plaster cast gallery are located at the ground floor and host a permanent collection of 120 paintings and sculptures from the 16th to 20th centuries. They include the splendid panel painting by Antonello de Saliba, and works by Battistello Caracciolo, Mattia Preti, Salvator Rosa and Andrea Sacchi. Moreover, many works by Andrea Cefalì and plaster cast and marble sculptures by Francesco Jerace are kept and exhibited there. The rooms at the first floor host the permanent collection of Mimmo Rotella , the most famous Catanzaro artist, as well as temporary exhibitions. The multipurpose Center for Contemporary culture is located at the lower ground floor. The Provincial Archaeological Museum of Catanzaro, founded in 1879, keeps more than 8000 coins (Magna Graecia, Bruttian, Roman, Byzantine, Norman origins). The archaeological collection hosts artifacts of the Bronze, Iron and Neolithic Ages, a small stone statue reproducing Athena, an embossed bronze helm and other Greek objects. Of particular interest is an engraved golden leaf displaying the Adoration of the Magi dating to the 6th century. The Diocesan Museum of Catanzaro was opened in 1997 in the Palazzo Vescovile. The Museum’s exhibits include monstrances, chalices, chasubles, candelabra, vestments, paintings, wooden sculptures and marble works from the 18th century on. These items were brought from some nearby churches, the Cathedral treasure and Catanzaro Archdiocese. The Museum also preserves many paintings of Southern artists: La Pentecoste by Domenico Leto (18th century), a Madonna col Bambino (18th century), the Incoronazione della Vergine nella Gloria dei Santi by Biagio di Vico (18th century), San Nicola Vescovo by Mattia Preti (1613-1699) and a Madonna delle Grazie (18th century). Vestments include an 18th-century golden red cope, the work of Catanzaro artists, a silver monstrance (1782), a processional cross (18th century), a canopy of the Blessed Sacrament (1856). A 17th- 18th-century oil-on-canvas painting reproducing saint Humilis of Bisignano of an unknown artist was recently acquired.
The Politeama Theater was designed by Paolo Portoghesi. It has a volume of 53.000 m3 and a surface area of 5.700 m2 around a horse-shaped room 500 m2 wide. The stage is one of the most technologically advanced in Italy and can be considered as the heart of the theater: it is 22,30 m wide, 20 m deep and 30 m high. The proscenium is 15 m wide and 16 m high. The Magna Graecia Arena is a large theater containing 4.000 seats divided in two areas and 800 seats in the side galleries. The Municipal Auditorium “Aldo Casalinuovo”, named after the Catanzaro jurist who was the President of the National Bar Council, is a multi-purpose structure in the center of the city, adjacent to the Galluppi High School. It has 600 seats and is equipped with modern technological facilities: it can host congresses, conferences, concerts and theater performances