CROTONE

Crotone is a very ancient town and it is the leading center of a group of Municipalities that has been called Marchesato di Crotone (Crotone Marchisate) since the 15th century. The city’s land includes marine terraces, alluvial plains, limestone ramparts, plateaus and clay-rich areas near the seashore. The ancient town keeps evidence of a glorious past. Several suggestive buildings, some of which in ruins, others well-kept, stand in the area. Crotone was a Greek city founded by the Achaeans of Kroton in 709-708 B.C. According to Ovid, Hercules ordered Miscello, the son of Alemone, to go to the Ionaian seashores and found a new town. According to Strabo, however, it was the Oracle of Delphi who ordered Miscello to found the new city between Capo Lacinio, the Esaro river and the town of Krimisa. The height of Crotone’s splendor was after 510 B.C. when it defeated Sybaris and became the main town in Magna Graecia. In the 6th century, Pythagoras founded his school and the city’s renown extended. Remarkable remains of the ancient city were found during recent excavations and many artifacts are kept in the local Archaeological Museum. Crotone offers a great variety of local food products: Butirro, that is a small caciocavallo cheese with butter inside, and the renowned Crotone pecorino hard cheese, made of Gentile sheep milk only. Home-made pasta includes shapes known as cavateddri or maccarruni served with pork sauce. Fish chowder is also delicious. Sweets and pastries include the Pitta da Madonna and sanguinazzu. Many DOC wines are produced in the area, as Melissa, Ippolito, Val di Neto and Sant'Anna, though red, white and rosé Cirò wines are the most renowned ones.




 


Piazza della Resistenza, 1

88900 CROTONE (KR)

Tel. +39 0962 921111

Fax +39 0962 921360

http://www.comune.crotone.it/home

 

 

The Crotone seafront promenade in Cristoforo Colombo street and Gramsci avenue has been recently expanded. It includes bars, restaurants and clubs. On the front side, the colorful bathing resorts are always full of tourists. The Naval League Office opens on the square dedicated to Rino Gaetano, the Italian singer who was born in the Marina district, between the seafront promenade and the harbor.

Piazza Pitagora is the square that connects the ancient town and the modern city area. The ancient town is partially surrounded by walls and is characterized by a maze of narrow streets. Walking along Via Vittoria you will find the Duomo that has a 11th-century structure. The building was entirely rebuilt in the 16th century using recovered elements of the Temple of Hera Lacinia. The church was remodeled in the 17th- and 18th- centuries. The façade has Classical-like features and the three-nave interior is decorated with 19th-century original and sumptuous elements. The 16th-century Bishop’s Palace is located close to the Duomo. Turning to the left at Corso Vittorio Emanuele you will get to the old town hall with the bell tower. The building was completed in the 19th century by restructuring the ancient 17th-century monastery. Climbing up a little you will find the Church of Immacolata that was built in the 17th century on a 15th-century temple. The church interior is decorated with baroque stuccos, several 19th-century paintings and a 17th -century wooden Crucifix of Neapolitan school. The Castle was built in 1541 under Viceroy Pietro di Toledo who fortified the town. It has a polygonal layout with a moat and round fortified towers at the corners. The castle currently houses the Local Library and Museum. Two remarkable buildings overlook the Castle square: palazzo Morelli, erected in 1885, and 18th-century palazzo Barracco that faces the Villa Comunale (Public Park), constructed in 1940s on one of the wall ravelins. In the nearby, the following buildings deserve a visit: Palazzo Olivieri Susanna (1526) in Montalcini alley; Palazzo Sculco, with arched balconies, in Ducarne street; Palazzo Barracco located in the Castle square; Neoclassical-style Palazzo Berlingieri, dating to 1880, in Umberto I square; Palazzo Albani standing in the square dedicated to Eugenio Albani who was the city mayor for several years; Palazzo Giunti in Fosso street and Palazzo Maijda in Suriano street. The two Toledo and Pedro bastions standing in the ancient town are located near Piazza Mercato (Market Square) and San Leonardo street. The so-called Pescheria (Fish market) is one of the most ancient and suggestive districts in the town; it is characterized by small streets, 17th-18thcentury buildings and ruined religious complexes. Southwards, the road from Crotone leads to Capo Colonna, where the famous single column stands, the only left of forty-three columns of the temple of Hera Lacinia. Around the column, the remains of the temple can be seen. A little far away, the imposing 16th-century defense tower and the charming small Sanctuary of Maria SS. di Capo Colonna deserve a visit.

The building that presently houses the Duomo was entirely rebuilt in the 16th century on a 9th-century layout, and spolia from the temple of Hera Lacinia were employed. Among the main artworks of value kept in the church the following deserve to be mentioned: the baptismal font with a basement decorated with zoomorphic features, dating to the 13th century; a Byzantine-style panel painting reproducing the Madonna with Child, known as the Madonna of Capocolonna; the 1678 wooden choir; the 18th-century painting representing Jesus returning from the Temple by Nicola Lapiccola and the 20th-century pulpit by local artisans.

Crotone harbor consists of two unconnected basins. The smaller one, located East/South-East of the city, was the first to be built and it is called Porto Vecchio (the Old Port). The main basin, located North, is called Porto Nuovo (the New Port). The Old Port is a shallow water basin (about 5 m deep) difficult to access, so it mainly harbors pleasure and fishing boats of the local fishing fleet. A boatyard for the construction of small wooden boats and for repair and maintenance services for pleasure craft is located inside the port. The Old Port, in the E-S-E area of the city, is protected by an entirely paved breakwater. All docks are equipped with mooring bollards. The New Port is from 6 to 12 m deep; its entrance is well protected from the winds and it supports commercial traffic. Services such as pilotage, tugging and mooring are available. Hydrocarbon off-shore platforms are connected to the coast by submarine pipelines. International traffic amounts to 35% of total and coastal navigation to 65%. Port movements include both industrial and commercial products; the main activities concern cereal traffic. Freight movements have decreased in recent years, due to the cessation of some activities in the nearby industrial area. The port is accessed through state road SS 106 Jonica. It is located north of the city and mainly intended for commercial traffic and pleasure shipping under Maritime Authority control.

The National Archaeological Museum of Crotone, founded in 1968, stores the finds that were once kept in the former Civic Museum. The exhibited artefacts date to the Neolithic Period (stone axes, obsidian scrapers from Policastro) and Iron Age (swollen-neck jars, fibulae, stringed instruments from Cirò tombs). Moreover, Archaic Greek artifacts include Corinthian lacrimatories, fragments of black-figured Attic and Chalcidian vases, potteries found in different Lucania sites, red-figured Apulian pottery and an Etruscan plate. Several materials were discovered in Crotone: Neolithic artifacts, an archaic Gorgon-shaped antefix, a terracotta head of a young boy, a small altar with Hercules fighting the Centaurs, votive reliefs, red-figured pottery, oscilla and small statues of Hercules with the lion skin. Of particular interest is a boundary marker with the number 29 in Greek, and a bronze point carrying the inscription “Acanthropos son of Teognide” The section dedicated to the Sanctuary of Hera in Capo Colonna (the Lacinion) is extremely attractive. The Sanctuary had a great importance at that time and it was the seat of the Italiote League before it was moved to Taranto. Votive artifacts, remains of marble and terracotta architectural features, rests of statues, all dating to the Archaic Greek Period are displayed in the Museum section. The exhibition also includes the inscription stone reporting that the sanctuary was dedicated to Hera Eleytheria, Roman Age sculpture of Eros and Psyche found under Capo Colonna sea and Latin dedication to Hera Lacinia. The sections dedicated to the evidences found in other sanctuaries of nearby areas, like the Apollo Aleus sanctuary in Cirò (Punta Alice, promontory of Crimissa), the Doric temple of Caulonia and Punta Stilo site, are no less interesting. The Civic Museum of Crotone, housed in the Aragon Castle, includes a heraldry section displaying, among others, the coat-of-arm and emblem of the Ruffo family that was the feudatory of Crotone till 1531. The arm section keeps cannons, bronze artillery pieces from a ship found under the sea near Crotone and 18th- and 19th- century melee weapons. The pottery section displays objects found during the restoration of the monastery complex of S. Chiara and in the Castle: pottery fragments of every-day tableware made by local craftsmanship. Another section keeps a collection of prints and photos from the end of the 19th century to 1950. The section of the medieval costumes includes 52 garments and clothes of princes, dignitaries, courtiers, common people, artisans and religious people.



meandcalabria-header.png
ME AND CALABRIA
PLAN YOUR OWN TRIP AND SHARE IT WITH WHOMEVER YOU CHOOSE.


SLEEP CALABRIA



mappa-header.png
MAP
YOUR IDEAL TRIP







 


TRIP TIPS