Castelsilano was founded in relatively recent times. Annals report that in 1685 Scipione Rota, the prince of Acherontia, decided to erect a fortified building to live in during his long hunting periods and in summer. Gradually, many houses were erected around the fortified structure. It was originally called Castrum Casini, then it became an autonomous municipality on August 14th, 1811 by a decree of Joachim Murat. In 1916 the town passed from Cosenza to the province of Catanzaro. The name Casino was changed in Castelsilano in June 1950 by a Presidential decree signed by Einaudi after a popular petition supported by some young intellectuals of the time. On July 1980, Castelsilano hit the headlines because a Lybian Mig 23, related to the massacre of Itavia DC9, the airplane that sank into the sea near Ustica on the previous June, crashed near the town. It has been included in the 27 municipalities of Crotone Province since 1994 when two further provinces were added to the three existing ones in Calabria.